Sunday, September 14, 2014

Information and Communication Technology




ICT encompasses the entire realm of personal computers, smartphones, tablets, and internet technology that has allowed us to communicate materials and ideas over great distances. We are no longer restricted by geography or location to who we may communicate with or seek help in answering complex questions. We now live in a global environment and communication technology has allowed for the study of A&P that is not associated with a strict schedule. Even scientific teleconferencing may take place across continents (Safar & AlKhezzi, 2013).

One remarkable aspect in this explosion of new technology is the creation of the smartphone and tablet for personal use. As the user of an iPhone, I know personally how wonderful, and vital, this tool has become to everyday life. Of course, as any sales rep will tell you, it isn’t the smartphone itself that is so wonderful, but the apps that are designed for the phone that really let this tool shine for educational applications.






One app, or actually class of apps, for the smartphone are A&P tools. One such app, the “Anatomy Lab” is a cadaver dissection app developed by researchers at the University of Utah (Tutton, 2009, n.p.). The app is designed for medical students and medical professionals. However, a quick search of the Apple Store yields well over 800 results for apps related to anatomy and physiology. Many of these apps are geared towards muscle and bone identification, but there are quite a few that provide quizzes and system physiology information as well. Another great thing for the student is that many of these apps are free. The quality may not be as good as some of the higher-end apps, but they do allow the student to study material and topics while out of the classroom and lab. And remember, one of the keys to success is repetition and review. Many of these A&P apps are geared towards helping the student review the material they received in their lecture class. So for you educators or students with a smartphone, do a quick search in the Apple Store or Android Market for A&P apps. You will see that there are many apps to choose from. You can narrow your list down by looking for quiz applications, cadaver photos, or systems physiology. Look around and have fun. Use these apps to help transition into our next topic for consideration: Blended learning.

7 comments:

  1. I have an APP on my phone that shows 3D anatomy of the heart. I originally downloaded the app to show patients about the coronary arteries. In my blog, I posted on the need for school to refine and exploit distance education apps. You are right about the volume of A&P apps that are out there.
    There is a part of my that wishes I were more computer savvy. I would love to be able to work on apps. I think they are integral to teaching the next generation as the provide a way to quickly learn and review important information. I wonder if we will get to the point that every college course will have its own app to supplement learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,
      Thank you for the response! I also have an A&P app that I really like. It is called Visible Body: Anatomy and Physiology by Argosy Publishing. I have my students purchase it when they start the program. It is a very good atlas and even has practice quizzes. The downside is that it is only available for PC, Mac, and iPad (or tablet). However, there are plenty of apps for the iPhone for other smartphones. One thing though, is that a smartphone is really too small to see a lot of detail for some of the A&P topics. Students are really better off using a PC for the finer detail work. The apps are great for an overview or using flashcards to practice before an exam or quiz.
      I think a person could have a full-time job just reviewing the A&P apps that are available. Some are remarkable and some are probably not worth it. Also, is there a major difference between the free or low-cost apps and the ones that are pretty expensive? I would love to have the time and resources to investigate that!

      Delete
  2. Don Jay,

    Great idea for a blog and if you have the time I would try to keep the blog going. So many of our Athletic Training students have trouble with anatomy and physiology. Sometimes it is so much material to jam into one semester. The book that I recommend is the Trail Guide to the Body. Great pictures and illustrations to help them visualize the different body parts and comes with a CD for their computer. I will have to recommend the app that you mentioned so they can review on their smart phone. I agree that they should probably download on a tablet so they can see the picture better. What book do you use to teach the class? Great blog and great subject area to focus on. Cheers.

    Doug Branch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug,
      I teach two separate A&P classes. A one-term and a two-term class. For both classes I use textbooks by Elaine Marieb. The one-term book is Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology and the two-term book is Human Anatomy and Physiology. Incidentally, I first used her book back in the mid-'90's when I taught as a grad student. Marieb has taught A&P for many years, but she had so many nursing students taking her A&P classes that she went back to school and became an RN so she would have a better perspective on what her students needed. I definitely think her books are among the best.
      Don Jay

      Delete
  3. Technology really is influencing education today. At our College of Health Professions we recently added the Anatomage Table for virtual dissection. Are you familiar with it? http://www.anatomage.com/medical-products/anatomage-table I understand it runs about $60,000. However, it is capable of some very valuable learning experiences for the students. I did an app search, and noted the AnatomyLab app is $9.99. Have you purchased it? Do you feel it is worth the money? You also mention there are many other apps that are free. Do you know if these apps are capable of isolating systems? My students would be particularly interested in cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology. We do learn by repetition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janelle,
    Wow, after viewing the anatomage web site, it looks fantastic. I've never heard of it before now, but it looks great. The price point puts it out of our range, but I can see how it would cut down on costs in the long run. I don't have Anatomy Lab on my iPhone because I use Argosy Visible Body for the PC. I have looked through quite a few of the apps in the past, but I have never reviewed any. I wish I had the time and money to do so! I think, however, that with this type of application, that one you had to actually buy would be of higher quality than a free app. I would do a ton of research before paying for one though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your response. Yes, I know. Anatomage is a bit pricey! I think it would be out of our price range too. We were able to secure a private donation that paid for it. That's pretty awesome.
    Thanks for the information and recommendation on apps.

    ReplyDelete